Monday, February 1, 2010

Thoughts on Doctors' Offices

Today I sat in doctors' waiting rooms for approximately 1.5 hours. In addition to giving me a lot of time to chase A around (who thought there was nothing better than running around laughing hysterically), it gave me time to think.

I realized that for me at least, when I see my western medicine practioners, I wait and I wait a LOT. When I see my eastern or natural medicine practioners, I wait very little. The amount of time I spend with both sets is similar but how that time is appropriated is where they differ. My eastern or natural medicine practioners make you wait very little but spend a great deal of time with answering questions or building a doctor-patient bond. My western medicine practioners make me wait a long time and then seem to hardly spend any time with me.

While I do believe that the level of care a doctor can provide is somewhat predicated on how they know you, I think that this schism allows us to see insight into the belief systems behind both types of medicine.

Western medicine believes in a "magic pill" philosphy. "Take this advil and your headache will go away." It removes the patient and doctor from the picture entirely. You could replace the doctor with an automaton that discerns symptoms and then compares them with known ailments. The patient is merely the vessel for the ailment and has no input other than to state his or her symptoms. This belief system puts the reins in the doctor's hands and removes the patient from the decision making process. While at times patients are technically given choices about their care, more often than not, they are guilted or made to feel that one decision is strongly preferred over the other. This is done subconsiously by the doctor in many cases who wants to sway the patient to make the decision he or she feels is best.

Eastern or natural medicines are more centered on the patient's mental status. Practioners try to diagnose the underlying problem, not just deal with the symptoms. "You are having headaches but when do they occur? What's going on around you? What's your mental state like?" For doctors of this belief system, there is a delicate balance between treating a symptom and dealing with the underlying problem. I also believe there is a strong connection between the patient's belief in the remedy given and it's effectiveness. When a patient has bonded with his or her doctor and feels they are not prescribing just any drug but the right one for them, the placebo affect is added to the effectiveness of the drug. This belief system also places a high value on being comfortable in and knowing your own body. I know from personal experience that it took me a while to learn that my seasonal allergies were a natural reaction and that medication wouldn't help. However, I can now easily discern when they turned into a more serious sinus infection!

After all that, I will say there is a time and place for everything. Western medicine saved my grandmother's life and gave her the chance to not only see my wedding but meet at least one great-grandchild! Eastern medicine gave me the opportunity to overcome sciatica awful enough to confine me to bed without using drugs. My advice to everyone reading this is: "Educate yourself about the possibilities".

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment