Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Shabbat Baby!

Well, I successfully delivered a VBAC baby boy on 4/30! Born at 11:22pm, weighing in at 7 pounds 11 ounces and 19.5 inches tall; there aren't words to describe how different his birth was from that of my daughter.

Labor with my daughter consisted of 30 hours of labor; 6 of which were spent pushing, no pain meds but constant access to a birthing tub, laboring in the privacy of my home and delivering via emergency c-section after fetal distress. The doctor who did the c-section said she had a short cord that was wrapped around her neck that was pulling her back after every contraction.

This time around, labor was start-and-stop for a week solid (also know as false labor). It's emotionally and physically trying. Everytime contractions would strengthen and speed up, I would try not to get excited but it was hard not to, after 9 months of being pregnant! My midwife was awesome and not only came to check me each time I called to say I thought things were picking up, she listened to me vent my frustrations and was extremely supportive. Finally, I woke up on 4/30 with contractions 3 minutes apart lasting about 45 seconds. We labored at home (with my midwife checking me every few hours) till 4pm, when we decided to head to the hospital. Labor flew by and by 10:30pm I was fully dilated and started pushing. After an hour of pushing, I delivered a beautiful baby boy!

Since there were no complications, I got to hold him right away and nurse him shortly after. It was wonderful to have that Shabbat by ourselves and not have to worry about calling everyone right away. I did miss our darling daughter though (who was staying with my in laws once we realized this was real labor).


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment