Friday, September 17, 2010

Fun in the Kitchen

This week has been a little crazy but I had the chance to play around in the kitchen on Wednesday and Thursday.  I had a lot of fun using the time to make some new recipes from scratch!

On Wednesday I started with sautéed chicken breasts that my mother-in-law had made as a base for dinner. I turned that into what I'm calling "Farmers Market Chicken" because I mostly looked in the fridge and used the veggies we had. I cooked ziti and seasoned it with a little olive oil to keep it from sticking. I cubed the chicken breasts. Then I took the two peppers, onion, and broccoli we had and sautéed that with some minced garlic, salt and pepper. I mixed the vegetables, pasta and chicken and threw some honey Dijon dressing on top for taste.  For an experiment, it was really yummy!

On Thursday, I knew I wanted to use this whole wheat pizza dough we buy at Trader Joe's. At $0.99 a pound, it's a steal and I buy several so I can keep some in my freezer and take them out when I'm ready to use them. I came up with this recipe, which I'm calling "Sephardi Style Chicken Calzone".  

I cubed chicken breast and sautéed it with olive oil, cumin, turmeric, paprika, curry, salt and pepper. Then I par boiled miniature potatoes, drained and cooled them. Once they were cool, I quartered them. I cut up 2 onions and sautéed them in the dirty chicken pan so I could scrape the seasonings out of the pan. I rolled the dough out into a long rectangle, and layered onions, chicken and potatoes over half it. Then I folded the other half over the chicken, potatoes and onions and pinched the edges together. Baked it for 12 minutes on 450 degrees and it was done. I made one large calzone from each pound of dough because I was pressed for time but this recipe would be better if the pound of dough was split up into 3 or 4 pieces and individual calzones made. 

All in all, the recipes came out yummy and the eating was good! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment